Dane has been living at Peregian Beach for the past six months, after moving North from Cronulla, and said it was the shift that inspired him to take up the Stand up Paddle side of Surfing. "Since I've been here on the Sunshine Coast, I have really dedicated myself to Stand Up Paddling," the former pro long boarder said. "It's such a perfect location to be a Stand up Paddling surfer and I'm now right into it. To win this event is unbelievable. The whole festival is held in the highest regard worldwide and for Stand up Paddling in Australia, this is the biggest and best event. It's a special feeling to have won."
Filling out the placing in the final were Keahi de Aboitiz (Qld), Matt Lumley (Vic) Woogie Marsh (QLD) & Noel Graham (NSW).
1. Dane Wilson (QLD) Board G & S Paddle Kia Kaha
2. Billy Watson (QLD) Board Honolua Paddle C4
3. Keahi de Aboitiz (QLD) Board Laguna Bay Paddle Kia Kaha
4. Matt Lumley (VIC) Board PSH Paddle Kialoa
5. Woogie Marsh (QLD) Board Laguna Bay Paddle Kia Kaha
6. Noel Graham (NSW) Board Naish